The Salzhof camp on Rhenaniastrasse in Spandau was the largest Siemens camp in Berlin. Construction of the camp complex with 96 barracks for 4,600 civilian forced labourers, prisoners of war and convicts began in 1941 and was implemented in several stages. The complex was divided into different camp areas (as of November 1943): Salzhof-Mitte for Italian military internees, Salzhof-Nord for Belgians, French and Poles, Salzhof-Ostarbeiter for Eastern workers and Salzhof-Strafgefangene for German prisoners of conscience. There were also 125 children living in Salzhof. The camp population changed several times over the years.